Thursday 1 March 2012

The Ride into Manhattan

The Washington to New York train journey was our first experience of Amtrak and I realise we were not on a packed commuter service but, dude!... seats bigger than Premium Economy on a plane, power sockets to charge stuff with by every seat and compared to UK prices, oddly reasonable for the distance.

I know, I'm easily impressed. Anyway, as Norngirl has already given a great review of our day - and quite frankly I don't think I can add anything more of any substance to it - I'm just going to provide a few extra photos from the day. Just a couple of the views out of windows as we covered the 225 miles of railroad and arrived in New York - sadly a lot of them didn't really come out well, so there aren't many - note to Amtrak - please wash your windows more often.

Philadelphia through the train window.
Philadelphia from the Train

A sign that we'd reached Newark Penn Station
Newark Penn Station Sign

Back to the Big Apple - the Skyline of Manhattan and Jersey City appeared.

Admiring the one of the views from the hotel window before getting back out into the city that never sleeps.
Downtown New York Skyline

2 comments:

  1. Even if the train's windows were dirty, it looked like a remarkably clear day! It's often kind of smoggy there. Glad you had a good experience with Amtrak. They can be kind of hit-and-miss. The public transportation seems to be better on the east coast than the west coast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to travel Amtrak one day. When I went to NYC, I took a day trip to Washington by coach. Five hours there, five hours back and seven hours walking around on the hottest day I have ever known. Your photos came out infinitely better than mine!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails