Saturday 14 July 2012

Visiting the Winter Brooklyn Flea

On Saturday 11th February we wandered from our hotel down to the Skylight One Hanson building which this year was the winter location of the Brooklyn flea market.

Brooklyn Flea at Skylight One Hanson Building

In some ways it really wasn't my thing, I was curious as to what was going to be on offer but it was kind of dull for someone who doesn't like shopping, but in other ways it was still worth going to.

Skylight One Hanson used to be a bank and wandering around an ornate old bank and it's vaults was something I don't get to do very often - in fact this the first time I'd done that ever.

Skylight One Hanson Building in Brooklyn

In regards to the flea market part of it I think this whole thing would have been more fun outdoors and in summer. Perhaps on a bigger scale, like it is said to be in summer, and with more food on offer to choose from and with stalls maybe a little less focused on a profit margin - it was advertised as a flea market after all and not an antiques fair - or was it? I think that's maybe where I could be confused?
On the day we went there were only a few food stalls and lots of bric-a-brac and craft stalls. Granted there were plenty of awesome items and kooky objects but nothing I could see I think I'd have too much trouble finding online if I ever needed such a thing and for the most part, online could be a lot cheaper.

I guess the fun for people is to browse through the objects and being able to take it home there and then but to be honest at the prices I saw, thrift store shopping is much more fun - mainly because because I can afford to buy things there. Some of the craft objects were nice to look at, like the homemade jewellery which we bought for our friend for her birthday.

As I mentioned at the start, the most fun part of this experience for me was wandering around the building. The stalls were set out in the main hall but also in the side rooms, on the balcony and even down the stairs in the big vaults.

Bank Vault

I've never had the opportunity to wander around the entirety of a bank before. Especially one that must have been quite the sight in it's heyday given all the fancy decorations.

Light and décore at Skylight One Hanson Building

Mosaic in Skylight One Hanson Building

It was a fun novelty but I don't think I'd be back to the winter flea, it's maybe one I'll leave to financially better-off enthusiasts, but I'd be more than willing to give the summer flea/smorgasbord a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails